banner background

mmici21

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Wash Me! Dry Me! Rugs for our Laundry Room


I think the laundry room needed a little fun added to it, so... I thought a rug in front of the machines would brighten up the joint...



I really liked the Clothespin Rug  Pinterest that is a large rug with 3 clothespins on it,  I even found a template that I could use for the clothespins.... however I wasn't confident on making a large template for that large scale of a project yet. Maybe another time.

 

I needed another plan though...



I found these super cute rugs at Wal-Mart one day 2 rugs for $3.96 (SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!)


 
Now.... $3.96 sounds alot better than the $15.00 for the bigger rug.. and then I had the challenge of making a large scale template...
So CHANGE IN PLANS!  
Onto Plan B as they say....
 
So... now I have 2 rugs... what to do... what to do... OH YES!!!! 
I have 1 washer and 1 dryer in there... Wash and Dry baby!!!!
 
So I made templates for each letter using Microsoft Word Art, cut the letters out with my exact-o knife...

 
Laid the letters out on each rug to see spacing and to make sure the words fit on each rug....



 
I traced the letters onto the rug using a white paint pen/marker that you can purchase at any Wal-Mart or Hobby Store. 
Using a foam paint brush I painted in each letter with white acrylic craft paint. 
I stippled in the crevices with a stiff paint brush. 
This application takes 2-3 coats to get into the fibers.  I need to go over the Dry letters one more time and I think it will look a lot better. 
 

 
 
So now I have my personalized laundry room rugs!  For a very affordable price!!!!
 
If I were to do this project again, I would try to pick rugs out that had only 1 level of texture.  The white lines are raised on these rugs therefore making it more difficult to get the paint into the crevices. 
 
What would you attempt if you knew you would be successful?
 
Try it this week!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment